Marie-Anne is a senior renewable energy expert with almost 15 years of experience in the wind industry. She began her career with Garrad Hassan (subsequently DNV) as a wind energy analyst in 2007 and during the latter half of her time at DNV held the role of technical lead for offshore wind resource and energy yield assessment in Northern Europe.
Over the course of her career, Marie-Anne has provided independent, technical advisory services to onshore and offshore wind farms at various stages of development across a range of markets including the Irish, North and Baltic Seas offshore, and onshore projects in the UK, Ireland, South Africa and the Nordic region.
Marie-Anne has been involved in the delivery wind resource and energy yield related analyses for over 14 GW of offshore wind farms in Northern Europe, many of which are now operational, and has supported offshore projects in the US and Asia. She has also managed industry leading projects with the Crown Estate and Carbon Trust, improving industry understanding of offshore wind resource and reducing LCoE of offshore wind projects.
Throughout her career Marie-Anne has established and maintained long-term customer relationships in the wi nd industry and has substantial experience of working with project developers, owners and investors of wind farm projects and also in supporting due diligence transactions.
- Involved in the delivery (either as author or checker/approver) of independent wind resource and energy yield related analyses for several tens of GW of offshore wind farms across North Sea, Irish Sea, English Channel, Atlantic Sea, Baltic Sea, US East and West Coast and Asia.
- Energy production assessments for various floating offshore wind farms for the purpose of project finance (Scotland, Portugal)
- Indicative wind resource and energy yield assessments including initial layout design for the UK Round 4 leasing areas and ScotWind leasing areas (~500 MW - 1 GW each) - including fixed and floating
- Pre-deployment unit verification of a Stage 2 maturity floating Lidar system
- Wind measurement strategy advice for 2 UK offshore wind farm extension projects (~300 MW to ~500 MW each)
- Preliminary wind resource and energy yield assessment of the Hudson North and Hudson South Call Areas for NYSERDA (publicly available)
- Technical wind measurement and metocean expert support to RVO for the TNW Wind Farm Zone
- Technical expert support to the NYSERDA floating Lidar data management campaign (provided by DNV)
- Wind resource and energy yield assessments for several offshore wind development zones along the US East Coast (confidential)
- Site conditions assessment (wind) for a ~450MW Round 3 UK Offshore Wind Farm
- Site conditions assessment (wind) for a ~700MW Round 3 UK Offshore Wind Farm
- Update to Carbon Trust Offshore Wind Accelerator Roadmap for Commercial Acceptance of Floating Lidar Systems
- RVO bid compliant energy assessments for the Dutch offshore tenders (Borssele 1&2 and 3&4, HKZ 1&2 and 3&4, HKN - total of 3.5 GW)
- Study of inter annual variability of wind speeds around the UK
- Site conditions assessment (wind) for a ~350MW Round 2 Extension UK Offshore Wind Farm
- M. Cowan, J. Collins, Wood Thilsted, “Modelled datasets: Are they getting it right and what value do they bring?”, presented at WindEurope Technology Workshop, September 2021.
- M. Cowan, DNV, “Are offshore met masts dead in the water?”, presented at WindEurope Technology Workshop, June 2020.
- T. Beckford, M. Cowan, J. Collins, C. Montavon, DNV, “Offshore turbine interaction - wake validation and blockage”, presented at WindEurope Resource Assessment, Brussels, June 2019.
- I. Papadopoulos, M. Cowan, J. Collins, H. Barry, DNV, “Improving confidence in offshore wake and energy yield predictions through innovative, statistically meaningful and detailed operational validations”, presented at Global Offshore Wind 2019, London, June 2019.
- S. Söderberg, M. Cowan, DNV, “Sharing experiences of offshore wind measurements – potential approaches for wind farms in Swedish waters”, presented at Wind Power at Sea – New Needs and Opportunities, Stockholm, March 2019.
- M. Cowan, DNV, Presented on behalf of The Carbon Trust and collaborators Frazer Nash Consultancy, Multiversum and Fraunhofer IWES, “Progressing commercial acceptance of floating LiDAR devices with an updated roadmap”, presented at WindEurope Global Wind Summit, Hamburg, October 2018.
- M. Cowan, G. Daron, J. Nas, C. Ribeiro, E. Martin, K. Chew, DNV, “Decrease offshore wind LCoE through a global validation of mesoscale models”, presented at Global Offshore Wind, Manchester, June 2018.
- M. Cowan, DNV, “Reducing LCoE through improving accuracy in energy production estimates”, presented at IMechE Onshore and Offshore Wind Engineering, Manchester, May 2018.
- M. Cowan, DNV, “A review of wind speed inter-annual variability for the UK offshore wind climate”, presented at Offshore Wind Days event organised by TKI Wind Op Zee and hosted by KNMI, Utrecht, February 2018.
- Co-author on report published for The Crown Estate, “Study on UK Offshore Wind Variability”, also presented at Offshore Wind Energy Conference, London, June 2017.
- M. Cowan, G. Daron, S. Cox, DNV, and K. Bech, Equinor, “Loss and uncertainty in production estimates for offshore wind projects: How do we treat asymmetric uncertainties?”, presented at WindPower Monthly Wind Resource Assessment Forum, London, April 2016.